Summer 1: May 30 - July 1, 2017
Summer 2: July 2 - August 1, 2017
Summer: May 30 - August 1, 2017
This unique program provides students from different levels of Spanish language ability with not only the obvious opportunity to be immersed in the Spanish culture and way of life, but also with the advantage to get ahead in their majors and minors by taking courses in Granada that wouldn’t be offered on the East Carolina University campus during the summer months. Instruction in Hispanic language and culture will be provided by the Modern Language Center of the Universidad de Granada. ILYC is a private language center that contracts educators from The University of Granada. The instructors are all employed by the university and certified in the teaching of Spanish as a foreign language. Consequently, the students receive their language certificates from the university in Spain and then transfer the appropriate credits to East Carolina University. Some advanced students will even have the chance to pursue language experiences in a variety of professional settings.
|Summer Session 1 or 2
|Summer (11 week)
- tuition for 6 or 12 c.h.
- international health insurance
- in-program transfer transportation
- in-country support
- Greeting at Granada airport / bus station (provided the student arrives on the official date of arrival).
- Enrollment and registration fees at the University of Granada’s Center of Languages.
- Official transcript issued by the University of Granada.
Does not include:
- passport fees
- visa fees (if applicable)
- Transportation in Spain
- some meals
- spending money
The courses you enroll in are dependent upon which program option you choose. Please see the ILYC Flyer for information about the options and available courses. For further consultation, speak with program director Rosa Lopez-Cañete.
3 c.h.: SPAN 1001 Spanish Level I
3 c.h.: SPAN 1002 Spanish Level II
3 c.h.: SPAN 2003 Spanish Level III
3 c.h.: SPAN 2004 Spanish Level IV
3 c.h.: SPAN 1220 Conversational Spanish Practiced in a Spanish-Speaking Country
3 c.h.: SPAN 3001 Intermediate Conversation
3 c.h.: SPAN 3002 Review of Grammar
3 c.h.: SPAN 3440 Culture of Spain
3 c.h.: SPAN 3441 Latin American Culture
3 c.h.: SPAN 3550 Introduction to Cultural Analysis/Literature
3 c.h.: SPAN 3225 Phonetics
3 c.h.: SPAN 3700 Special Topics
3 c.h.: SPAN 4000+ Peninsular and Latin American Literature courses
Accommodations & Meals:
Students will be either be housed in local homestays with 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner), laundry once a week, and Wi-Fi, or in a local residence hall. Students will determine their preference prior to departure, and will not be allowed to switch from one type of accommodation to the other.
- 1 and 2 month programs: Weekend trip to Seville and Cordoba (July program includes 2 day trips instead).
- Guided tours of
- Royal Chapel
- Albaicín old Arab district
- La Alhambra
- ONE-MONTH PROGRAMS also INCLUDE:
- 1 excursion
- 1 sport activity
- TWO MONTH PROGRAMS also INCLUDE:
- 2 excursions
- 2 sport activities
Note: The excursions and sport activities will be selected by the student from a list of optional activities that will be
published with two weeks in advance. Examples of these activities are: trip to the coast, Ronda, Alpujarra, visit to a
winery, mountain biking, hiking, water sports, etc.
Accessibility: ability to walk up to five miles per day
Minimum 2.0 GPA
- Professor Rosa Maria Lopez-Cañete is a teaching instructor of Hispanic Studies at ECU. "I chose to lead the students and participants to Spain because I am a native from Seville, Spain. Over the past six summers I have taken 21 students in 2011, 25 in 2012, 27 in 2013, 46 in 2014, 38 in 2015, and 40 in 2016, for a total of 197 students in just this short period of time. In every occasion the program has been a complete success."