East Carolina University Italy Intensives Program from Linda Darty on Vimeo.
Fall 2017: September 12 - December 11
Spring 2018: January 28 - April 26
Earn 12-18 credits in Italy while living in beautiful apartments and using our classrooms in Certaldo Ato for 3 months – best value and truly, a once in a lifetime opportunity! Classes meet 4 or 5 days a week, with several 3-day weekends set aside for independent travel. A semester break program to the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii is included in program cost, with 5 additional independent travel days following that break. Each evening after class, our students eat together at one of five restaurants in Certaldo Alto, and during the semester, in addition to course work, they are offered many opportunities for social interaction with our Italian friends, including cooking lessons, exhibition openings, local gatherings, on site classes in surrounding cities, and excursions in the countryside.
Italy Intensives Classroom Facilities
- Modern computing facilities, with wireless Internet throughout, including scanners printers and copy machine.
- 2 large, well lit classrooms, one with a sink, equipped as a jewelry studio with state of the art ventilation and up to date, modern equipment.
- A student lounge for socializing, with internet access, couches and refrigerator
- An office space for faculty
- 2 handicap access bathrooms
- An outdoor courtyard area where students work or relax when weather permits
Summer Session 1 or 2: $4,500
For payment deadlines go to the Italy Intensives website.
- Transportation to and from airports in Italy
- International health insurance while abroad
- Lodgings and utilities in beautiful apartments in Certaldo
- Lodgings on all overnight trips
- Transportation on all school trips in Italy
- Dinners on all class days
- Breakfast and Dinners on overnight trips
- Museum entrances and tours
- 3 days in Rome and Tuscan Hilltop Village tour
- 3 days in Venice
- Overnight trips to Florence and Cinque Terre
- Semester break trip to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast
- Day trips to San Gimignano, Volterra, Pisa, Siena
- Entrance to Cinque Terre National Park on the Mediterranean
Does not include:
- passport fees
- visa fees (if applicable)
- spending money
Accommodations & Meals:
One of the most exciting things about our campus location is the fact that housing for students and faculty is located steps away from the door of our classroom in the beautiful hilltop medieval village of Certaldo Alto. Students will share an apartment or guest house with 2 bedrooms (2 students to a room) with shared kitchen, bathroom and living room. Lodgings are comfortable and spacious and the village of Certaldo Alto is a welcoming community for our program.
- Take classes and live in Certaldo Alto, one of the safest cities in Italy
- Visits may include:
- Amalfi Coast
- Cinque Terra
- Experience Italian festivals, such as Carnivale
Accessibility: ability to walk up to five miles per day
Minimum 2.5 GPA
Approval of Linda Darty
Upon acceptance to the program, your spot will not be held until we received your $75 application fee and $200 housing deposit – even if you pay by the deadline date of Sept. 16th! You should plan to pay the deposit at any time you are sure you want to join us, …if the program fills with students who have paid their deposit, you may lose your place by waiting.
For more information, visit the Italy Intensives website